Site of the original Fort Curtis, Phillips County Library

Columbia at Porter,
Helena, AR  72342


Average Visit Time: 1.00 hour(s)

Fort Curtis was built soon after the Union army occupied Helena in July 1862. It and the four batteries on Crowley’s Ridge were the focal points of the Confederate attack on July 4, 1863. Exhibits discuss the Battle of Helena and the attack on Fort Curtis that took place after the Confederates took Battery C. [074]